Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Back in the States

*I posted another unfinished post I found under May 24, 2010 titled something like 'Soraksan = Buddha's Birthday.'  So to check it out go to the May section on the right hand side, click May, and then choose the new entry~


Hi~ So, I've been back in the States for nearly 2 weeks now.

I flew from Korea to Chicago with Mary, which was really nice!  The flight was roughly 12 hours (thanks to the tail wind!) and went by surprisingly fast!
We had different connecting flights from O'Hare to MSP, but there was some crazy weather storms, lightening in the air, so both our flights got canceled!  Over 30 flights in all that day.  Luckily, I got on as standby on another flight into MSP airport. Mary could only find a flight to Duluth! so her parents picked her up there.  Wow, what a trek!

Anyhow, no real big culture shock or anything too exciting to report.
I think the hardest thing I've found is getting used to living in a suburb and not being able to go out whenever I want to where ever I went.  I'm used to Seoul, where everything is accessible by subway, bus, or walking.  I definitely miss that.
And I'm not used to driving everywhere.
I'm also not really used to air conditioning anymore... That's weird because I used to not be able to stand heat.  I don't think I like it any better, but its kind of weird feeling cold in the middle of summer, especially when you know its like 90 outside... 
It's nice being home with my parents and see friends I haven't seen in a long while! I also got to eat Chipotle, which was unavailable in Korea.

 eating Chipotle~

trying on Susie's amazing dress she got as a gift from her host family (both of us are now back in MN)

 Becca took me to a show for my birthday! afterward, she needed to finish an online quiz for her summer course ^^

I'll be leaving to work at Sup Sogui Hosu, the Korean language camp the 18 of July and will be there for 5 weeks.  It should be fun, but I'm really nervous about my Korean language skills... Last time, since I was kitchen staff, I wasn't really required to speak in Korean the entire time. However, this time, I'm a counselor and will be teaching a drumming class, which I'm supposed to teach in Korean. Ugh. Wish me good luck!! I think I need it.

Til later!

No comments: