Tuesday, March 2, 2010

immigration office

So, I went to the immigration office again today to try and get my alien registration card. Unfortuately, I needed to bring my admissions papers from Sogang, which I neglected to do... I had my passport etc. but not those. I also needed passport pictures of myself.

Last time I was here, my program, CIEE took care of this all for me. Anyhow, my host mom and I went all the way there to find out I didn't have what I needed. Luckily there was a kodak shop across the street, so I got my pictures taken and then we had to go all the way back from Ahndong to Shineemoon for me to run up to our apartment and get my documents. We went back, but by that time, my host brother was done with school 11:50, so my host mom went to pick him up and them met me at the immigration office. I filled out all the necessary paperwork, handed in my documents, and paid my W10,000. The lady told me it would be ready on the 12th.

That sucks because I need this card to get a phone, and it is extremely inconvenient to live here without a cell phone. Especially because I've been trying to make plans with friends etc. So it goes.

Afterwards, we went to Myeongdong and ate at a ddukboki house. It was really good. An H & M just opened up, the first in Korea, so we went to check it out. My host mom, who live in CA for 6 years and I were shocked at how expensive everything was! Everything is like double the price of what it would be in the States. Too bad.

My host sister had her first day at an English only preschool, Poly school. She came back and seemed a bit confused and very cranky. I'd be too. whew.

Yesterday, my host family and I went to Emart, a big shopping center. It was packed because it was a national holiday and no one had school. Plus, today was the first day for most schools, so everyone was doing back to school shopping. I def. wanna go back and explore the store more. It has everything from running shoes to groceries. We bought cookie mix for my host sister's upcoming birthday and hodduk mix. We made the hodduk last night and they turned out really well!!!

Yesterday, I also showed my host brother and sister how to take pics on my computer and they have A LOT of fun with that while we watched the movie, "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs." Some of them turned out really cute and some of them are just weird. Tomorrow is my first day of class, so I should get going. Wish me luck!
we went to Paris!
and rode a rollercoaster....
and looked in a silly fun house mirror...
AND we visited Yosemite!!! all while sitting in the living room.^^

1 comment:

auntcandy said...

Hey Lia , I've read all your latest blogs, nice writing and it sounds like your host family is really great,, enjoy your classes, and I hope you got your cell phone finally!