Wednesday, November 24, 2010

pancakes and noodles-in-a-box

Hi~

So, its my second day here~ Yesterday was fairly productive, until I fell asleep, that is.

Yesterday, midmorning I went to the immigration office.  I forgot to ask Nik how to get to the subway station from his apt. before he left for work, but I wandered around and found one (not the closest one, but I found one). The immigration office was surprisingly uncrowded and I waited less than 5 minutes before I was called! That NEVER happens!!! I turned my paperwork in, in order to get my alien registration card, which I NEED to reactivate my cell phone and do banking stuff.  I'll get my passport back along with my alien reg. card on the 30th. So, just a few more days of inconvenience without a cell phone.  In a country where 4 year olds have their own phones, it's really hard to function here without a phone...

I met up with Nik and his coworker for lunch at a Chinese restaurant. After lunch I went back to Nik's. I had planned on going to the bank to check my balance on my debit card, but I never made it... I checked my email, worked on some grad. school apps, and then got a facebook message from someone asking if I was okay and how Korea was due to the bombing by North Korea! That was the first I had heard of it...

I wanted to watch the news, but I couldn't get Nik's tv to work. (Later, I found out I needed to plug the cable in... That explains why  I couldn't get a simple tv with no more than four buttons to work...) So, I ended up reading the news online. Then I got really sleepy and decided to take a quick nap. Initially, I resisted because I generally don't take naps and get over jetlag fast. But, Nik and I had stayed up late the night before, so besides being jetlagged, I was running on little sleep.

Woke up and went out to find someplace to eat with Nik. We ended up meeting up with Mark and his girlfriend at "Noodle Box."  They serve noodles in a box; a Chinese take-out box.  It was really nice seeing Mark~ I'll be moving over to his place later today.

This morning, Nik and I made pancakes for breakfast!!!  yum...



I have a meeting with Mrs. Seol, the program director of the Holt Homecoming program, which I have my teaching job though. It will be nice to finally meet her. Susie has talked her up quite a bit. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Shirley said...

Hope you're getting settled in, the phone working etc. Please post your/others' reactions to the current contretemps with No. Korea. It's been getting some big play here, especially the demonstrating/rioting in Seoul. Are regular people talking about it?