Sunday, November 28, 2010

Thanksgiving and the likes

So, this past weekend, I celebrated Thanksgiving~

I never thought I'd be eating a full-blown thanksgiving meal in the heart of Seoul.  But I did.

But before I get there, I guess I'll talk about what else I did.  On Friday I met with Rae in Itaewon to borrow her prepaid phone. Thank god... I want to reiterate how hard it is to live in Korea without a phone!...  Now I have a working phone with which I can contact people and be contacted. Whew.
We hung out at a cafe for a bit and then I met up with Soonae unni, one of the counselors from Sup Sogui Hosu.  We went to dinner and ate shabu shabu (hot pot) and then went shopping to find me a winter jacket. I brought one, but its not warm enough... We found one at a store in 이대 on sale!

Soonae unni and me~

On Saturday, I met up with Eunji unni, YunJeong unni, and Jinwha unni in Sinchon. It was really fun seeing them as I haven't seen anyone from camp since it ended in August.  We ate 찜닭 (jjim tak - chicken, noodles, and veggies) and then went out for tea~

a bit blurry... Eunji, Yunjeong, and me


Then, later, Nik and I went to KoRoot for their annual Thanksgiving dinner and we ate turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes, green beans, carrots, potato soup, salad etc. The only thing that was missing was my green bean casserole... I guess I'll have to wait on that.

Thanksgiving dinner plate~~

It was really funny. So, we took the bus from the subway station toward Koroot and ran into a bunch of other adoptees on their way there as well. I'd never ridden the bus that way before, so I wasn't sure where to get off. Nik knows, but he had a senior moment so we got off a stop too soon... I didn't realize until later, but some of the other people had followed us off the bus! Oops...

The dinner was a way to celebrate Thanksgiving and also raise money for the single mothers organization, Mama Mia.  It was kind of funny though, because there were a lot of adoptees there, and of course, not all of them were American. I happened to sit next to two Danish Korean adoptees, both of whom were celebrating their first American Thanksgiving~

After dinner, Nik's had plans to go ice skating with one of his friend and I decided to tag along.  Nik's friend is a member of a skating club and they rent out the Lotte ice rink once a month after hours.  So, we headed across the city to Jamsil to Lotte World.  Nik's friend, Min is an awesome skater.  Nik met her through inline skating, but she also knows how to speed skate! wow.   I borrowed Nik's hockey skates but they were too big... I did a few laps, but then just hung out and watched others.  Some of the people were really good!  
Afterwards, the club went out for 뒷풀이 (that term may be familiar~ it's what I did after drumming class/drumming performances) - basically go out for korean bbq and drinking to create a communal feeling, more bonding, and relaxation...


Lotte ice rink - so empty!!! normally there are 50 x that many people...

Wow! The guy next to me got sooooo red! I've never seen anyone get that red before. His face, neck, arms - all just beet red! And man was he loud!!!

It was fun. Nik, Min, and I shared a taxi back and I got home at 4.  The only down side is when you leave, you smell like bbq meat... ugh.



Today I went to lunch with Mark and had Mexican.  We went to South of the Boarder and I got the chimichanga I had wanted to get before I left s.  I'd heard about it since freshman high school... out in search of some good children's books in English. I went to Kyobo bookstore because I've heard its the biggest and the best.  However, it was extremely crowded! I should have realized Sunday was not an ideal time to go. Plus, all of their children's books in English come with a CD which I don't need and makes the books more expensive... So, I left and went to Bandi &  Luni bookstore.
A very small selection and almost all with English recordings... I sucked it up and bought one, "Looks Like Spilled Milk." Awesome, right?
After the bookstore, I stopped by Dongdaemoon market to buy a nicer looking bag for work etc.  I found one I liked, but the lady said it was W 80,000 ($80)!!!  Way too expensive.  The others were okay... I ended up haggling it down to about 50% off!!! I felt sooo good.



I went home after that.  And had fried chicken for dinner. Now that I've had my fix of fried chicken, hopefully I'll be good for a while. It's sooo good in Korea though...
Now, I'm at a coffee shop with Mark. We came here to use the internet, but their wireless was messed up... so, we're now tethering internet from his iphone. Oh, it is also snowing outside... Pretty but cold.

Mark's apartment:


my stuff... it looks like it exploded out of my suitcases~

Well, tomorrow is my first day of work! Wish me luck.

1 comment:

Sarang said...

omg lia. already your suitcase is overflowing...!! what are you going to do when you leave??

oh and why don't you try what the book in itaewon? you can buy second hand books and sell them back to them when you are leaving.